Sunday, March 30, 2014

To cleanse or Not to cleanse?


I have covered the basics of juice cleanses so far, but now it is time to get down to the nitty gritty of the medical information regarding these juice cleanses. In my previous post, while sifting through some other sources I began to notice doctors opinions leaning towards juice cleanses not being healthy or useful. This information began raising questions for me about what juice could actually cleanse and what your body does itself. First of all, I am going to tackle the actual term “cleanse” that is used in the title of juice cleanse. Most doctors believe that your body can cleanse itself well enough on its own without needing any help from juice cleanses.
The kidneys are the main reason for your body being able to cleanse itself. It is your body’s detoxification system. Your kidneys, according to the National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC), are “sophisticated reprocessing machines”. This segment from the NKUDIC website breaks down exactly why you don’t have to cleanse your body and how it does it itself. “Wastes in the blood come from the normal breakdown of active tissues, such as muscles, and from food. The body uses food for energy and self-repairs. After the body has taken what it needs from food, wastes are sent to the blood. If the kidneys did not remove them, these wastes would build up in the blood and damage the body.”  (NKUDIC) 
So if your body is already cleansing your blood toxins, then most juice cleanses are claiming to do something that you are doing naturally whether you are surviving on a strictly juice diet or not. 
The American Cancer Society’s website (http://www.cancer.org) has a section on juice cleanses or otherwise known as juice therapy. Their overview section says that, “there is no convincing scientific evidence that extracted juices are healthier than whole foods.” In my earlier post I had discussed that while juices are not proven healthier than the whole food, you can pack a days worth of vegetables and fruits in one or two glasses of juices making it more accessible to people looking to fulfill their recommended daily intake. The American Cancer Society’s website also says that, “a diet high in vegetables and fruits has been shown to reduce cancer risk and improve overall health.” They say that juicing can be safe when incorporated into a healthy diet, but when over-ingesting juice you can induce some flu-like systems. So while juice incorporated into a healthy diet is safe, is it worth it to reduce your diet to strictly juice and possibly cause flu-like symptoms for cleansing results that most doctors agree your body creates naturally?
Cited Sources

1.) "The Kidneys and How They Work." National Kidney and Urological Disease Information Clearinghouse. Feb 2014.NIH Publication No. 14–3195. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health. Web. 20 Apr. 2014.

5 comments:

  1. I've been reading a lot about paleo and other no-grain diets lately (for personal reasons). In this reading, I've also come across some criticisms of fructose, aka fruit sugar. Thus, I am curious how this might play into your research on juices as healthy, cleansing drinks. Granted, I know you are looking at fruit/veg combos and those kinds of drinks (with kale, spinach, etc.) are probably considered the best. But still, could there be something to the theory of ingesting too much fruit sugar? If you Google search "frucstose" you will find plenty of biased articles, but WebMD gives a brief overview of a scientific study and what they found: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20121231/fructose-hunger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did touch on that briefly in my second post, but I could expand on it more.

      Delete
  2. I've juiced on and off for the past few years. First it started as fasting/cleanses, and then progressed into a treat along with my regular diet. At first I thought it was great! The taste of the pure vegetables and the energy that I would feel afterwards was incredible. Then it started not being quite as fun. I found that after I drank a juice (usually 32 ounces worth) I felt what resembled a serious sugar buzz and then I felt like trash for the rest of the day. I was always throwing away the pulp while my foodie friends would criticize this wasteful behavior and suggested that I make them into muffins, which were delicious if you were a goat and liked the taste of soggy cardboard. I questioned the validity of the exercise, but never looked it up to see how worth it was. I really didn’t want to know. I had spent an exorbitant amount of money on a juicer I would rather not experience the buyer’s remorse. I moved onto a vitamix and have been much happier. I feel like I’m making the most of my fruits and veggies now. I don’t have any waste (besides the occasional peel) and I don’t experience the same amount of gastric distress or crazy sugar buzz feeling, and it makes soups. I have offically moved on to my blending phase. Interesting blog research, I like the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom is a health freak and works in functional medicine or whatever its called on top of being a nurse. Growing up, she would refuse to buy juice because she claimed it had too much sugar in it, so it was basically counterproductive for the human body. I'm not an expert, but I wonder if that plays into anything at all since its a one step forward, one step backwards kind of deal (according to her.) I am however curious about what types of juices are more beneficial or are the most beneficial for cleansing or just to drink in general. Every juice no matter what it is, seems to have cranberries in them I feel like so is that a hint from the juice people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranberries are beneficial in cleansing your urinary tract and preventing UTIs. As far as the rest of the juice "cleanses" go, most doctors agree that they don't actually cleanse you of anything that your body and/or kidneys don't cleanse naturally.

      Delete